Some friends had a baby this week, a little baby boy. I had been preparing by working on both a boy and girl quilt. Lucky for me the boy quilt was much (much) further along than the girl one. It just took me a couple of hours over the weekend to get it done.
As mentioned in my previous post about this quilt, the top started off with a selection of squares cut from the new Ed Emberley range 'Happy Drawing'. I cut 5" squares and threw them up on my design wall. Then I just ferreted through my stash pulling out bits and pieces that I thought looked good with them. There is a real mix of spots and stripes and other animal novelty prints. The Happy drawing range makes use of interesting and bold colour combinations so I wanted to keep celebrating that but still keeping the quilt suitable for a boy.
I am not sure if I actually achieved that because both Elizabeth and Matilda questioned why I was gifting this quilt to a boy when the quilt has purple fabric in it, and also... pink cherries. Shock horror!
For the backing I used up the remaining piece of the Sandi Henderson stripe I had used on the front. Just for a bit of interest I cut off and rotated one section, so that the stripes ran in a different direction to the main part.
For the binding I used 22" cuts of some of kona jelly roll left over from my kona hexagon quilt.
I like how this binding worked out, and may end up buying more kona jelly rolls for the specific purpose of binding quilts :)
Here are the lions (and tigers) from the Happy Drawing range. (loose thread dangling from quilt is an extra bonus!)
And the Elephants (with friends)
Giraffes. These pictures also shows off the quilting. Just simple rows of stitching either side of the seam lines.
And my favourite from the range, the cranky dragon.
Welcome to the world, baby boy!