This week I completed a quilt for a friends little boy.
I have had an idea forming in my head for a while to create an I Spy quilt using a Maverick (or liberated or wonky) star block. I started with a central I Spy charm (I have quite a collection of these) and picked scraps in matching colours for the points of the stars. I limited myself to a blue colourway so that the stars wouldn't look too scrappy. To add a bit of complexity to this quilt I also decided to interlock the stars. Oh Fransson has a great interlocking stars tutorial.
To get the quilt up to cot size I added a series of borders. I think it might be indicative of the size of my fabric stash that I had no problem finding suitable fabric for this project and had no need to make an emergency trip to Spotlight!
When it came time to quilt I went for a stipple in the area including the interlocking stars, and then stitched in the ditch around the green border. I did 1" rows of quilting in the wider striped border.
I like that the points of the stars also have things to 'Spy'.
The green border is a fabric that features musical notes.
I used some aqua blue bird fabric on the back and I even worked some I Spy magic into the binding.
The final quilt is approximately 30" x 45".