Saturday, July 2, 2011

Racer Shorts


I made George this neato pair of shorts today using this racer shorts tutorial by Dana of Made. I thought it was a really clever adaption of a basic boys shorts pattern. I used a bit of left over denim and some orange quilters cotton for the feature bindings. The shorts are probably a tad long, but I sized up ready for summer in 6 months time. George liked them enough to oblige me by trying them on.


I added some pockets to the bum, and also bound them in bias-binding. You cant really make it out, but I used some orange thread for topstitching, twin rows on all the seams and also a 'faux fly' detail on the front.


I really love the rounded edge detail to the bottom of the legs and the bias-binding strip down the side seam. Speaking of Bias-binding I got to use my new splurge purchase... the Simplicity Bias-tape maker. As well as the 1" bias tape attachment I have the attachment that makes quilt bindings- which was my main justification for the splurge. Now days I lookout for projects that use bias-tape because the machine just takes all the effort out of making your own.

And apparently thats the end of the modelling session...

3 comments:

CurlyPops said...

I've seen those automated bias tape makers, but never known anyone who bought one. So they're definitely worth it then? What sizes do they make?

Milly said...

Look they are definately a luxury item. For years I have been making my own by hand (not even with that little metal tool thingo). So this machine is much easier, compared to that. You can buy attachments for different sized bias tape. To make the tape its as simple as cutting your fabrics strips, joining them, and then winding the strips onto a spool and popping it through the machine. It takes only a few minutes once the strips are made :) Sometimes you might have to handpress the seams in your bias tape because the machine cant quite cope with the multiple layers of fabric.

Anonymous said...

Love these shorts Milly. They look absolutely fabulous. Might have to try and make some myself :)