I made George this neato pair of shorts today using this racer shorts tutorial by Dana of Made. I thought it was a really clever adaption of a basic boys shorts pattern. I used a bit of left over denim and some orange quilters cotton for the feature bindings. The shorts are probably a tad long, but I sized up ready for summer in 6 months time. George liked them enough to oblige me by trying them on.
I added some pockets to the bum, and also bound them in bias-binding. You cant really make it out, but I used some orange thread for topstitching, twin rows on all the seams and also a 'faux fly' detail on the front.
I really love the rounded edge detail to the bottom of the legs and the bias-binding strip down the side seam. Speaking of Bias-binding I got to use my new splurge purchase... the Simplicity Bias-tape maker. As well as the 1" bias tape attachment I have the attachment that makes quilt bindings- which was my main justification for the splurge. Now days I lookout for projects that use bias-tape because the machine just takes all the effort out of making your own.