Friday, February 27, 2009
Wednesday, February 18, 2009
Sunday, February 15, 2009
At the moment its spread out over the sewing room in several piles.
First I have 9 stacks of charms (in a carefully sorted "random" arrangement). There are 320 squares. These are all on a large book so I can move it out of the way when I need to get on with other sewing.
When ever I get a chance I take one square from each stack and sew it into a "nine-patch" block and chuck it on the sewing table.
Every so often I stand and press the seams and add the block to the completed nine-patch pile
The final layout of the D9P blocks will be something like this. The quilt is to be queen size, so Iwill have 60x84 D9P blocks with a 10" border all the way around. Thats if I dont change my mind along the way!
In other news, I am participating in a "charm swap" with some online quilting buddies. There are 11 of us and the idea is that we each send the other 10 members 10 charms in their chosen colour scheme. The aim is to use as much of your own stash when putting together the charm packs, so that for the cost of $5 postage (and maybe a little bit of fabric) you receive 100 charm squares in a colour scheme you like. I picked "Brights" as my colour scheme and am of a mind to somehow use them as a basis for a single bed sized quilt for Matilda. Not sure what the design will be yet, but tonight I thought I would have a little play with some left over charm squares.
But changed my mind and went for a crazy patch block instead. You stack your blocks on top of each other (I only had 2 but more would be better) and then slice randomly through them. The you jumble up the large pieces and join them back up with one of the smaller piecesto reform a square block. (obviously because I only had 2 blocks to start with I took the bottom larger piece and stitched it to the top smaller piece).
I have to say crazy/scrappy quilts give me the warm fuzzies, so I would love a complete quilt from crazy-sliced squares, but since it is for Matilda I will have to let her have the final say-so on whether I can keep slicing up bright charm sqaures.
Wednesday, February 11, 2009
Here is attempt number one- it worked out well except that it was 6.5" square instead of 12.5". OOOPs!
Attempt #2 was much better, although I didnt read the bit where Tia said that the stars should be on a light coloured background. Ooops again.
Now there is one thing you have probably noticed in this blog... and that is an absence of light coloured fabrics. So after a little run up to the fabric store where I bought myself 1m of the stuff I was ready to make some stars to send off to Tia.
And just as a little aside, here is what I did with the first little maverick square. I turned it into a pocket and built this size 4 dress around it.
this slightly older little miss is wearing a cupcake skirt that she picked out from my stall at the East Fremantle festival last December (I remember her well because her mum was trying to talk her into another skirt but she really wanted this one).
A bugaboo cameleon hood teamed up with a universal liner. The outer fabric is black cord, the inner is timeless treasures boho chic
I am aware that there are probably some patient people out there waiting for me to take on some of their customer order requests. I did say that I was intending start doing more in early Feb, but in the mean time have felt obliged to take on an order or two amongst family and friends (normally they take the back burner to my online requests). This means I cannot take on any 'online' orders for another week or so. I would also really like to hold a stall at the upcoming Mathilda market... but I am not sure if I am going to manage to sew up enough items in the next month to do the covercharge justice.