I used some left over pink knit, thinking that my first attempt might be a bit botched and I didnt want to waste my last bit of "good" black knit. But, as the pictures, reveal it worked out a treat! and the colour aint half bad on me afterall.
Seriously this top is so easy! Its just a tube (I literally just wrapped the fabric around me to work out how big to make the "tube") with a hem added at the bottom and armholes cut out at the right place. The gauged the size and location of the arm holes by using the t-shirt I was wearing. ie I took it off and lay it over the tube to work out where the arm hole should be in relation to the centre back/front/hem and how big it sould be.
Just to proove how simple this top is here are some pics of it laying flat on a table. Below is it laying flat, centre back to the right, centre front to the left, armholes roughly in the middle. Close-up of the armhole, which I bound with a 1 inch strip of pink knit and then topstitched using a twin needle.
Top folded a slightly different way so you can see the armholes and the centre back seam running down the middle. I used an overlocker for the back seam, then topstitched with a twin needle. The hem is a false cuff made using the overlocker (with right sides out you fold up about 8inches of fabric and then fold the raw edge back down to the folded edge. Overlock, and this creates wide 4 inch band at the bottom edge of the top).