Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Copycat

I was doing my regular bit of blog surfing last night, checking out the latest musings of my favourite bloggers, when this entry by Nikki of NicoleM Design had me salivating. So easy yet so clever. I just had to try it out... immediately.




I used some left over pink knit, thinking that my first attempt might be a bit botched and I didnt want to waste my last bit of "good" black knit. But, as the pictures, reveal it worked out a treat! and the colour aint half bad on me afterall.

Seriously this top is so easy! Its just a tube (I literally just wrapped the fabric around me to work out how big to make the "tube") with a hem added at the bottom and armholes cut out at the right place. The gauged the size and location of the arm holes by using the t-shirt I was wearing. ie I took it off and lay it over the tube to work out where the arm hole should be in relation to the centre back/front/hem and how big it sould be.

Just to proove how simple this top is here are some pics of it laying flat on a table. Below is it laying flat, centre back to the right, centre front to the left, armholes roughly in the middle. Close-up of the armhole, which I bound with a 1 inch strip of pink knit and then topstitched using a twin needle.


Top folded a slightly different way so you can see the armholes and the centre back seam running down the middle. I used an overlocker for the back seam, then topstitched with a twin needle. The hem is a false cuff made using the overlocker (with right sides out you fold up about 8inches of fabric and then fold the raw edge back down to the folded edge. Overlock, and this creates wide 4 inch band at the bottom edge of the top).




Stay tuned for a bell sleeved version..... using the black knit :)

7 comments:

Becky said...

Very simple, and very nice.
Look forward to the next version!

Carla said...

That is awesome, what a nifty idea. I have to say I'm going to copy cat the copy cat LOL

Ylana said...

Ooh i saw Nicky's version as well but didnt really think it was going to be as easy as it looked. Now that you confirm it is though, i might just have to give it a go. The top looks great on you!

Liam's Mummy said...

Hey, I saw this top on Nicole Mallaieu's site too, I think there are going to be a lot of these floating around soon. Did you see the skirt she made?

Mel said...

Sweet!!!

Claire said...

OH! I might have to give this one a go - It actually looks simple enough for me to try!

foofie said...

You won't reconsider making them? Please pretty please? Cause you're just teasing us non talented people now with your amazing abilities...