Thursday, September 25, 2008
Lovely Ingrid at Lottielulu (I havent forgotten your handbag either!) says she loves my blog. Aaaaawwwwwwwwww. The feeling is mutual because I love hers too! Thanks ingrid for giving me such a lovely award. Here are some blogs I would be delighted to give an "I love your blog" award to (in no particular order):
(1) Quirky threads
(2) Pinklizzy sews
(3) A little spunkiness
(5) Matt, Liz and Madeline (get your tissues)
(6) Sampaguita quilts
(7) She has the logic of a puggle
Some of my awardee's have already been sent some blog love by others so please dont feel the need to keep on lovin'. But if you do want to share some more love around here are the rules:
1. Choose seven of your favourite blogs to nominate and link back to them
2. Link to the person from whom you received the award
3. Leave a message on the blogs that you've nominated
4. Post the award on your blog (optional)
Wednesday, September 24, 2008
Tuesday, September 16, 2008
This is what he did with the hat the first time I put it on his head. It was only when I pointed out the animals on it and got his big sisters to wear it a few times did he finally insist on it being "MINE!!!!!"
Monday, September 15, 2008
Size 1-2, choc cord with pink and brown "barcode" lining and pockets.
Hangbag in cherry and geometric floral fabric. I played around with a zipper in this bag, It worked well, but because its basically impossible to source reversible zippers in the right length the bag loses is "reversible" function.
Jungle pram liner. This one had black microfleece on the reverse. I love this fabric so much and George is so into animals at the moment that I decided to make one for my pram(s).
This is what I put on the reverse side of my liner. Its from 'The very hungry caterpillar' range by Andover fabrics. It was origionally intended for my new (to me) Bugaboo Cameleon (AKA storage place for my half completed sewing projects) but decided that it looked too good to be stuck in the sewing room, so now its on my orange mountain buggy and gets an outing a couple of times a day.
Bugaboo Cameleon hood in brown chocolate corduroy and lined with Oilily kimono blosson fabric.
Bugaboo cameleon hood in animal damask fabric (it has all sorts of quirky things in it like skulls, ladybirds, pigs, dainty birds etc) and lined with a red/pink gingham. This hood was a custom order for someone with a grey base and two sets of toppings, red and pink. The owner wanted a hood that would co-ordinate with both sets of toppings.
Pram liner and stowable blanket in 70's guitars and pink chenille. This one went all the way to the UK!
Wednesday, September 10, 2008
NOTE... make sure you make each tube of fabric the same length... or you will have to do a two tone effect like I hav eon the right hand leg. Although I think it looks so good I am going to claim it as deliberate!
While still on the subject of rebirthing clothes...a while back I made this rainbow skirt, which Elizabeth has hardly worn becaues she didnt like how the drop waist panel was not in a rainbow stripe (sigh). So this week I removed the drop waist and turned it into a MINI-rainbow-twirl-skirt. Elizabeth immediately put the skirt on and starting dacing around the living room test out the twirl effect. George then happened along and insisted on being part of the action. I snapped these photo's, which, I am sure, he will find extremely embarrassing in future years! I am pleasantly surprised at how well the skirt sat on a child of size 2 without looking ridiculous, considering it was designed for an 8 year old.
I have had quite a few orders go out this week for tin whistle pram accessories. I will wait a few more days for them to arrive at their destinations and then I will blog the photo's.
Wednesday, September 3, 2008
I used a modified version of this pattern here. Trust me to always change things about a bit as I sew! Please dont take that to mean I think the original pattern is in some way defective, most of my changes were born of laziness.
The first thing I did was to make the front pattern piece the same as the back pattern piece and then I also fully lined the tops so that they are reversible. I find doing it this way quicker and neater than fiddling around with bias binding. The next change I made was to make the tops close at the side, rather than the back, this was because the snaps on my snap machine are reasonably thick, and would poke into a baby. Placing them at the side gets them out of the way and was quicker than the alternative of having to sew on velcro or smaller press studs. I also played with making the tops less A-line (so the boys wouldnt look like they were wearing a pinny) but it involved adding in little tabs so that the snaps could go on- not sure if the extra work is worth it or not (I will have to wait and get some feedback on that from the organiser of the project). The last change I made was to downsized the medium size to make a micropremmie size (I hope!) . I could have traced off the small size from the pattern link above, but at the time I was ready to cut out the fabric the computer was turned off I was too lazy to turn it on.
All in all these are heaps of fun to do, quite addicitive and a GREAT way to use up scraps. I tried to spend the sewing time reflecting about the incredibly hard journey premmie babies, their mums and dads and any siblings must go through. I just hope the parents of babies that end up wearing these can feel some of the well wishes and love and hope that have gone into their making.
Slimmed down boys version with side tabs (made from girly guitar fabric. DOH!) Nine completed "medium" size tops (I am guessing they would fit 30+ weeks)
The side-closing reversible premmie top