Hip Hip Hooray! My Tone it Down quilt top is finished.
I last updated on its progress in February, when I had completed 6 blocks. Not long after I purchased a new sewing machine (Woot) and this created some enthusiasm to visit my sewing room and I giddily sewing up 14 blocks in the same space of time it had taken me to do the first 6.
Here is a progress pic when I had two blocks to go. I was starting to think about the layout and had added in the sashing pieces.
Here is the first row of blocks, with sashing and corner stones stitched together.
And by the next night there were two rows.
And then, after one final push in the sewing room, I had the top complete.
Can I just say that I really love this quilt :) It was a lot (and I really mean a lot) of effort! I don't think I quit grasped how much work it would be when I first started. There are 97 pieces in each block, and owing to the scrappy nature of the background, many of them are individually cut and joined.Twenty blocks, plus the nine patches for the cornerstones was a lot of piecing. I guestimate each block was 3 hours, plus another few hours to put the quilt top together. So lets say 65 hours all up.
Lucky its being made for Miss 14, so I get to enjoy seeing it every single day. Here it is photographed on her bed.
Some close up shots of the quilt.
The back of the quilt is pieced and she is to be dropped off to the LAQer this weekend. Stay tuned.
In case you skimmed past the mention up post, I have bought a new machine! I splashed out on a Brother Nouvelle 1500s- its a light weight industrial machine (a domestic/industrial cross over if you will). It does only straight stitch and has a fantastically fast speed of 1500 stitches per minute (my Pfaff was one of the faster domestic machines at 950 stitches per minute). Its fabulous for piecing quilts and I just love the thread cutter and knee lift. Those two things speed up piecing just on their own, never mind the faster stitch speed.
I researched for a few months and narrowed down to the Juki, Brother and Janome models. I managed to track down the Juki and Brother models in the same store and went for a play. There really wasn't much between them, and I was basically swayed by the fact that the Brother was slightly cheaper ($200, about 10% of the purchase price) and came with more inclusions (extra feet etc). I was also mindful that Brother is a much more well known brand in Australia, and thought I'd better stick to the known brand.
Since I spent most of last year "sewing my stash thin" I found I didn't need quite so much storage in there and took out a 2x4 Expedit unit that used to live under the window.
All my fabric, notions, patterns etc not live in the larger 4x4 Expedit and some plastic drawers lined up along the back wall.
This week I have been testing out the new machine on some kids clothes patterns (it is Kids clothes week after all).